Holy Trinity began as the vision of twelve Westchester Lutherans looking to worship locally in English rather than German. Their vision was realized when worship services, began in the spring of 1899. For the first few months the congregation met in borrowed spaces, but by the end of the year, it had acquired the building on Banks Street (now Division Street) in New Rochelle that had formerly used St. John's Methodist Episcopal Church.
Over the first several years, the congregation was supported by its mother church - the Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Holy Trinity in New York City, but in 1906 it became self-sustaining. In I908, the congregation sold the Banks Street building and began construction of a new building on Lockwood Avenue, where the congregation still worships today.
In the first half of the 20th century Holy Trinity, like the rest of the world, faced the challenges posed by WWI, the Great Depression and WWII. Finances were stretched thin and often bills were in arrears. Nevertheless, the congregation generously used its limited time and resources to advocate on the part of others, support the war effort and give to charitable works locally and abroad.
During the latter part of the 20th century and to the present day, the congregation continued and continues to live out its mission to proclaim Christ’s message of love by serving those in need.
In 1969, Holy Trinity became one of the sponsors of the Interfaith Dwelling, Inc., builders of the Maple Center, a low-cost apartment building for Senior Citizens.
In 1984, we began hosting the newly conceived HOPE dinners and housing the Community Food Pantry. By 1986, the HOPE dinners were serving 125 guests per week and the Food Pantry had to be moved to St. Gabriel’s.
From 1993 to 2004, Holy Trinity ran Kid’s Club, an after school program for neighborhood children. In 1997 when the HOPE program relocated to St. Gabriel’s, the Kid’s program expanded to include music, aerobics and computer classes
In 2001, Holy Trinity began a ministry to serve New Rochelle’s Latino population and began to offer the Alpha evangelism program in both English and Spanish. In 2002, ESL classes were initiated with the assistance of BOCES.
In 2004, a community prayer garden and sidewalk was built at the back and side of the building to provide a respite for those in need of a quiet place to think and pray. From 2006 to 2008, Holy Trinity operated the Joyful Noise School of Music, providing affordable, professional musical instruction and running a summer vacation music camp.
The congregation continues to focus on providing aid to those in need. In 2010 through 2012 we sponsored families through Prison Fellowship’s Angel Tree Project. Each year we pack shoeboxes for hurting children across the world in conjunction with Franklin Graham’s Samaritan’s Purse Operation Christmas Child project. We make care packages for our neighbors living in the New Rochelle Manor and Sutton Park Nursing Home and Home for Adults across the street from us and we host a summer Vacation Bible School for neighborhood children.